Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

Why the title and why the cold calling?

I'm a writer. My name is Jean. I own my own Web content and marketing business. My husband and I are in this together and we, well, need more clients. A ton more clients.

Cold calling, I've been learning, can be a quick way to get a ton of clients quickly.

A bit of background. We've been supplying Web content, blogs, articles, e-books, white papers, etc. for about three years. My parents recently became very ill about two years ago and I needed/wanted to be more available to them.

Writing allowed me to do that. I'm, as they say, "location independent" when it comes to work. Give me my laptop and a quiet place to work and I'm set.

So even though I was able to work -- a bit -- while staying with my parents, it was hard. It was difficult. I couldn't sustain the momentum.



My mother passed away in October and we've moved my dad to an assisted living facility, so the situation has become "more stable" and I can once again concentrate on our business.


The finances took a big hit while I was helping my parents. I normally e-mail potential clients (usually SEO companies) as my main marketing strategy, but that hasn't been as successful as it was just two years ago.

Then I heard about how well a few writers have been doing with cold calling. Most notably, Diana Schneideman, Sarah Maurer and "Cold Calling Carol" (her saga courtesy of the awesome Yuwanda Black's website, InkwellEditorial.com.)

I'd cold called a bit in mid-March but not too much. But - and here's the kicker -- I found I enjoyed it. You heard me: enjoyed it!

Our finances need an infusion fast. So I've designated April as "Cold Calling Month." I'm going to cold call 25 10-15 prospects five days a week, Monday through Friday, through April 30.

No. Matter. What.

Hence, this blog. I'm going to document my efforts here. This will accomplish two things

  1. It will keep me accountable to 25 10-15 cold calls a day
  2. Perhaps I can encourage other writers to give the phone a try. Truly. I've found it doesn't bite. People are almost always nice.

And, most importantly, it appears to be working.

As for the blog's name, well, since my name is Jean, which rhymes with queen, it fits.

And that's what I am, a cold calling, writing, blogging-here queen!

Come along with me for my ride? Hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment