Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

Day 1 (Or Does the Universe Love a Hustler? Yes, She Does!)

I called 25 prospects today. All of them the public relations/media relations/advancement departments university/colleges in the Philadelphia area.

Why these folks? Because one of my last jobs working for an employer had me working as a public information officer/marketer/recruiter for a university. Or, as Diana Schneidman, states in her e-book on cold calling, "go with what you know." That is, target prospects in the industry of your last position.

I've been working with SEO and Web marketing companies for the past three years, but figured I'd head back "to the fold" for my first heavy cold calling efforts.

Everyone I spoke to -- and I mean everyone -- was pleasant. Exceedingly pleasant. And while I received no jobs today, everyone with whom I spoke asked me to send my information along because, basically, "you  never know."

In fact one woman chatted with me at length. Swamped as she was, her boss pretty much put the kibosh on hiring contractors, preferring that all work be performed with in-house staff. However, she "knows" folks and will be happy to keep my information and pass it along.

As time goes on and I call my  525 prospects this month (25 prospects per day times 21 business days in April), I imagine this will happen at least a few times. In fact, there's a very good chance I'll end up with several clients that I never ever cold called!
 
How can this be? I don't know what to call it, but I hear it's quite common. Let's just dub it "The Universe: She Loves Her the Hustlers."

What this means is that consistent marketing brings results. It's as if the universe sees that you mean business, that you're serious, that you're no dilettante, and that you're hustling your tushy and she rewards you with work!

This has happened to me before and it may have happened to me today. Just before calling Prospect 21 this afternoon, I received a phone call from a referral I'd just called 15 minutes before.

My sister had told me she had given my information to someone she knew and he would be contacting me.

Important marketing note: When someone tells you she's given your info to someone else and the prospect will contact you -- don't wait for the call. Ask for the prospect's contact info and contact the prospect yourself. Why? Because the prospect is busy. The prospect has other priorities. Yes, he really may need your work and he really may call you....in two weeks or a month or maybe never.

But you can call or e-mail and say "So and so told me she gave you my information because you may have some marketing or writing needs. How can I help?"

I'd left a message for the prospect and just 15 minutes later a colleague of his called me wanting more information on my services. We had a long and pleasant conversation and I -- knock on wood -- feel they truly could be come a large-ish customer.

Sure, my sister sent me the referral. But she's sent me referrals before. I've called the referrals before.

But my mojo was weak back then. I wasn't in true hustler mode. Our parents' illnesses were overwhelming. We were losing our mother and we had some major decisions to make about her end-of-life care and our father's care for after she was gone.

But things are different today. I am focused. I am committed! There is no going back! I WILL succeed! (Cue the trumpets.)

The universe has heard me. She believes in me, believes that I mean it this time.

What's that take on the old saying? "All will come to she who hustles while she waits"?

I don't expect to get a client each day that I cold call. I know some days will be bleak. Others will be great, as today was, but it could be days before I receive one job from any of the many prospects I'll be calling. Or from any of their referrals. Or from, well, anyone.

But I do know that consistent cold calls work. Google it. See for yourself. Just give it a try!

Tomorrow, I'll discuss the one "bad" reaction I received from my cold calling efforts (and how, in the scheme of things, it wasn't bad at all!).

2 comments:

  1. Great results, Jean, Cold Calling Queen! You are proof that cold calling, when done consistently as you pointed out, works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Tenisha! It's really turning out to be quite enjoyable. And I even received an assignment today -- albeit only one article, but it's a start. Can't wait to have time to write today's calling results post.

    ReplyDelete