Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Did I Just Get Offered a Sales Job?

My cold calling hasn't been nearly 10 or 15 calls a day. I've been pretty busy with work. Not as busy as I'd like, so I MUST start calling at least five clients a day. Must. After all, a couple of new clients have been one-offs (as in, they give me just one assignment and then they're off and may or may not contact me for a long time). One new client has become a steady customer. Another liked our work so much (I have two writers on my team), she's already given us another assignment. Meanwhile, a long-time steady client has grown his business, as well.

But I need more. More, I tell you!

So I had every aim of calling 10 prospects today, yet I called just one.

But spoke with him for about 40 minutes.

Turns out I was talking to the company's sales manager. He was so impressed with a) the fact that I called and b) with my presentation and how I "spoke" that after about 20 minutes of chatting he asked me if I'd like to work for him as an account representative. His is a search engine optimization (SEO) company. One that helps businesses get found on the Web via optimization of a company's website, using social media, PPC, and so on. His clients are all over the country, so most of his sales take place over the phone.

Again, a terrific fella. Someone who is delightful to talk to and who will be delightful to work with. But I won't be selling for him; I'll be writing.

A couple of his points:

  • "You knew what the purpose of your call was and you said it."
  • "You spoke clearly and slowly" (which I find laughable; if you could hear me speak, you'd know why).
  • "You didn't ask a 'yes' or 'no' question. Are you sure you're not in sales?"

Well, I suppose I am in sales. After all, I'm calling companies offering my services. That's sales.

I remember reading a book once about sales. I've used this tip ever since and he noticed it above:

Don't ask "yes" or "no" questions.

This is, in part, what I say when I call a prospect:

My name is Jean. I'm a freelance content/copywriter. I'm hoping to speak with your director of marketing  to see if you have a need for blog posts, website content, squeeze/landing pages copy, e-books, SEO articles, and other content for you and your clients.

Then I go quiet. The person on the other end of the line usually then says something like "just a moment while I connect you," or "You need to speak to Mike and he's not in today. Would you like his voice mail?"

Notice what they don't say: They don't say "no."

Notice what I didn't say: "May I speak to..."

Asking "May I" means they can say just one of two things when they reply: yes or no.  Of course they could say yes but why give them the chance to say no?

So don't ask. State what you want. They'll usually give it to you.

-------------

Don't forget to check out my tally. Client numbers are growing at a nice pace with just three weeks of calling. Again, about half have become steady clients and the others have used me just once. That's why I must market every day.

2 comments:

  1. Nice looking tally Jean. Imagine if you did this for six months -- you'd be drowning in work!

    Keep it up; your progress is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an excellent point, Yuwanda. And I intend to keep this up as my main marketing technique. It's the fastest way for me to get clients!

    ReplyDelete